Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A mixed basket

Hey all! I just wanted to update you on the last two treatments/doctor visits. I got my first treatment of this regimen 3 weeks ago. It went well. Normal reactions and I tolerated it as ususal. Two weeks later I showed up for my second treatment and I was denied because my white blood cell count was too low. It should be 3.0 and I was only able to muster up a 2.0. So doc said come back next week and we'll check and maybe your count will go up and we can treat you. I did and the count had only gone up to 2.77. Not quite enough to treat me but we did it anyway. After a short line of questioning he decided that we had no choice. We had to resume treaments or we could be dealing with something worse than a low white blood count.
The questions he asked were: "how's your breathing?" it has become labored again; "how's your pain?" it is coming on again; "are you getting sick with the treatments?: not yet (praise God!): "are you having any other extreme reactions besides the skin?" no (praise God). He said "well, we have not choice. Let's do it" So we did, I feel terrible, but I'll be okay soon.
Pray for the white blood count to rise. It is the backbone of my immune system and if I get sick it could potpone my treatments thus affording the cancer a chance to grow. However, if it doesn't go up I'll have to skip more treatments in the future causing the same scenario just mentioned. Funny how one little glitch can cause so many problems. But God can fix a measley low white blood count. I just need your prayers.
Speaking of prayers, I called the office last week to ask a question. After discussing the situation the nurse said "hey, I have some good news" I said lay it on me sister. She informed me that my tumor marker had gone down from 89 to 55 since the last two treatments. Praise God! It was such good news. I'm sorry to not have informed you earlier. That is why this post is called a mixed basket. There was a little bad news to be concerned about, but also some good news. So we pray with praise on our lips and concern in our hearts.
I want to thank my friends, David P. Martens and Timmy Brahs for coming to visit this past weekend. What an encouragement to know that they would spend the money for the cost of the trip, leave their famiies for a weekend and miss out on some much needed rest only to return to the rigorous grind of their jobs on Monday to come here and lift my spirits. And that they did. I thank God for all of my friends who have stopped in to see me and pray with me. It just means the world to me and my family. When Dave and Tim were preparing to leave Maddie said "daddy, where are they going" I "they have to go home now" she said "but why? Can't they stay here?" They even encouraged my children during their stay here. Thanks guys, we love ya.
I Must rest, I have another treatment tomorrow. Pray for the blood count, pain, and labored breathing. Thank you all for your prayers and reponses. It means the world to us to hear from you and that you are praying.
God bless,
Warren and family

10 comments:

Connie Carlson said...

Just wanted to let you know we have been praying for you here at Positive Action for Christ. Your life is a wonderful testimony of God's goodness! God is in control; He is the Great Physician! We have such good memories of you and Tana at MBBC! Gerry and Connie Carlson

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you guys.
Mark, Amy, Tristan, & Meredith

kimtblood said...

You guys have been in our thoughts and prayers. Your testimony and faith are amazing and I am confident that God is using it to bless many others around you as well.
Jer. 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Bruce and Kim (Perdue) Trueblood

Anonymous said...

Hey "Broke" and Family,
I heard about your situation when I was deployed as an Army chaplain and got a note off to you then, but just heard about this blog through Gretchen Brandenburg. It hurts to read of all your hurts, but it encourages me to hear your spirit and trust in the Lord in these difficult times. I have many fond memories of our college days. I always thoroughly enjoyed your spirit, the way you could bring a smile to others. Now, in your trials, you still bring a smile to my heart. Please give our best to Tana. We both thought you did so well to get her years ago, and the test of time has proven that to be very true! God bless you both, and your precious children. "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you." I'm sure you know better than I what David felt when he said, "My flesh and my heart faileth, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26). Love in Christ, Mark and Melissa Brooks

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon Brokering Family: I hope the sunshine helps you. I wish you could bake those cancer cells out of your system. The days are getting longer and I know they say we have more energy with daylight so hope you are feeling it. I hope you did receive my card. Randi

Anonymous said...

We continue to uphold you daily in prayer. Our heart and thoughts go out to you all. Keep leaning hard on the Lord! You have been such an amazing testimony to us.
With love and much prayer!
Kris and Gretchen Bburg

Anonymous said...

Pastor Warren! I hope that you are doing well! Please send me an e-mail so we can keep in touch! Tell Tana hello! Love you guys! Beth-anny (bewoods@juno.com)

Anonymous said...

Dear Warren and family,

We are still praying. We are honored to. You are always the first and most mentioned by the kids as as they pray. They lift you at almost every meal (even snacks:) and so on. People of our church ask about you often and I know our Pastor Groves prays on your behalf as well. The blog updates help a lot.

Ryan and crew

Anonymous said...

Warren and Tana, I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Ps. 61:2b When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to that ROCK that is higher than I. Your grace in your time of trial is truly a blessing.
Brad and Kim Bumgardaner
Watertown, WI

Anonymous said...

Warren, Tana,& children

Enjoyed our visit with you so much. We are continually praying for all of you.

We love you,

Aunt Sharon