Tuesday, April 29, 2008

And so we carry on ...

An update as promised. I met with Dr. Huh yesterday. My weight is fine, blood counts look good as well as all other vitals. The scan showed no change, which was good news. Anytime I find that the treatments have stopped working I wonder if the cancer has had enough time to grow. This time we cought it in time to keep it from growing and I can actually take a week off before I start the next regimen.

Throughout my 2 years of treatment I have either been on a regimen that stops the cancer from growing or one that shrinks the cancer. Starting Monday (5/5) I will start a regimen that incorporates both concepts. The first treatment will be Erbitux (a target medicine that shrinks the tumors) and Avastin (a target medicine that keeps tumors from growning) and Xeloda (a chemotherapy that aids both). Xeloda is a chemo pill that I administer myself at home. The week after that I will only do the Erbitux and Xeloda and it will rotate like that throughout the regimen. I've never been on this regimen before so I don't know what it will do to me. I've been on each of these medicines at one time or another, but never all at the same time. It will be interesting.

I am back to work now. The MetLife disability insurance informed us (after 7 weeks of paper work and no income) that we don't qualify for the program because I have a pre-existing condition that is more than 3 months old. If it had only been 3 months that my cancer had existed then I could qualify. I guess disability is not necessary if you've been sick for a long time. Only in America! The longer you are sick the less chance you have of getting help. Not only did we get denied disability but my office manager told me that our insurance was going to cancel us affective May 1. The good news is that social security cleared us to start recieving benefits to subsidize our income ... in September. So, when you get sick you risk losing your income without any disability and the insurance wants to cancel you as well and of course the government is always a day late and a dollar short. Well, God is the great equalizer of all that kind of nonsense. Just pray that we can go back to normal insurance coverage without any hassels.

I'm thankful that I do feel well enough to start work again. Dr. Huh is skeptical, but he is willing to let me give it a try. Pray that God gives me the strength to prove him wrong. It has been good to be back at the clinic for more than just my own treatments. I have enjoyed seeing some of the patients again, but I have found that the list of patients is just as new as our new facility. Wow, I have a lot of work to do just to learn all of the new faces. Keep it all in your prayers.

Thanks for all your prayers and support,

Warren and family

5 comments:

2Icecubed said...

While we are sorry you can't seem to get any financial aid, we are rejoicing with you that the cancer has not grown!!! God will meet your financial needs..."He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, the wealth in every mine!!"

We will be praying you can manage this new regimen well. I am sure you are glad to be feeling well enough to be back at the clinic being a blessing to those around you! Hang in there! Love and prayers, The Ices

Kelly said...

Just wanted you all to know that you are continually in our prayers. Thank you so much for keeping us up to date. It makes us feel that we can pray more effectively, and we have also gotten our new church family praying for you. I hope it helps to know that people who don't even know you are praying fervently for your family. We love you all!

Anonymous said...

We will be praying that your energy stays high, you feel good through this new treatment and you will have no side effects. We will also be praying for the insurance and disability issues that are happening.

Dave and Sharon (WBC)
1 Peter 1:3-9

Beth Horn said...

Sure am praying for you & the family through this newest treatment regimen & returning to work! The evidence of God's grace in you both is an incredible challenge to each of us & truly glorifying to God. Sure hope you enjoyed a wonderful Mother's Day!

Beth Horn

Anonymous said...

Just checking in on you all. I know with going back to work your energy and focus is REST!! The times spent with family are precious. I trust tonights graduation was one of those precious moments for all of you. I will be calling to find out when we can fill in on something for you ...take the pressure of something..You can start thinking now of a project :-) M, C and R W.