Friday, April 4, 2008

Keep the prayer wheels turning

I wanted to update everyone on how things are going. I was trying to hold off until I got the results from this week's blood work. But I can't seem to get the info I need from the lab. The nurses say they are waiting for the info themselves.
Here is what I do know. I have been feeling better. I got to go to the MBBC wrestling reunion in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. We hooked up with Scott and Michelle Ice and drove over together. We had a great time. It was Easter weekend so we had time with family as well as all of the Easter festivities for the children. I slept much of Saturday and part of Sunday, but I did manage to show up for the highlights. Yes, I am feeling better.
This week I had my treatments again and I seem to be doing well again. I still have a few days before I'm out of the woods with sickness and so on. I have been requesting an extra dose of side affect medicine before they disconnect my I.V. and it has really helped. It mostly helps with the sickness, but does nothing for exhaustion and other discomforts. But it is the sickness that really causes a problem and contributes to something that Doc has been bothered by for the past few weeks.
Doc has been unhappy with my weight loss lately. When I'm sick it contributes to the weight loss. When I lose weight I become puny and less able to tolerate the treatments. So, pray that I can hold my weight and continue on. I still have about 10-15 pounds before it becomes critical. I don't think it will come to that but you never know.
The other thing he is watching is my tumor marker. Up until the last treatment we saw the marker plummet in big numbers each time the marker was tested. As of my treatment 2 weeks ago we saw it rise 3.4 points(from 42.6 to 46). The rise in the marker is not significant and we are thankful for that. However, when it goes from plummeting in big numbers to rising just a little we have to wonder if the treatments are beginning to lose effectiveness and we'll have to start again on something else. Remember, we are on a regimen to shrink the tumors and we want to get the full benefit of as many treatments as possible. I think Doc is hoping to get at least 4 more treatments (8 more weeks) before we move on to something else. So, the prayer is that we keep the tumor marker going down, even if it is in smaller intervals, and let the treatments last for as long as the Doc deems necessary.
If the marker goes up 2 more times he will probably stop the regimen and move on to something else.
So, yes I'm feeling better, but I do have some concerns to deal with. Keep us in your prayers and thanks for all of your support.

God bless,
Warren and company.

10 comments:

Schoonover Family said...

You are constantly in our prayers. Now Jefferson prays for you in his nightly prayers as well. Just keep your focus on God.

Jana said...

Thanks for dinner tonight! Ella and I loved it. What's for dinner tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

Your in our thoughts and prayers!
John Cummins & Family (Luke 8:50 w/ a "he" !!)

Kelly said...

Just wanted you to know that we are praying for you. The updates help so much so we can pray effectively. Love you all!!!!

Anonymous said...

Broke, we are praying the marker keeps going down. We are glad to hear that your feeling better. God has been good and will always remain so. WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
Martens' family

PinkAngel said...

Still praying...every time I go to Jana's blog it reminds me to specifically pray at that time. I know Mark and Terah were disappointed not to be able to go the wrestling reunion. I'm glad you were able to go and enjoy some of the activities.

Melissa Haines

2Icecubed said...

Thanks for the update. We have been wondering where things were at. We sure enjoyed our time together a few weeks ago...just wish it could have been longer! You all are never far from our thoughts. We are praying for your physical AND spiritual strength as you continue on this journey! Psalm 46:1
Scott and Michelle

Anonymous said...

We have been praying for you alot this week. We have been trying to remind Amelia to not make her praying the same ritual every evening. Well, last night she prayed around the world, touching on your family 2 times! It was so good. She was wondering how your suit pocket bottle of Purel was holding up...most likely needing refilled?! She has mentioned needing to keep germs away from you all! We will call when it is not too late of an evening!--Cynthia

We stopped in the office at "school" and asked Miss Connie about you before coming home yesterday. She has been asking if the children were staying well also.

Our prayers are for your health, strenght, improvement, and perseverence through this test, and that your gold multiplies...
"When I am tried and purified, I shall come forth as gold". We love you all! I have an idea for the near future,....weather permitting, illness baring, if you all want to do this....We will be in touch.

Oh, by the way, I saw at school that the first Tuesday of the month is "toddler day" at the children's museum. You get in free and they have special activities for them from 9:30 to 10:30. Maybe Spencer would like that!

Anonymous said...

Dear Warren and Tana,I want to thank you for the wonderful message you shared with us at Woodcrest several months ago. I remember you saying, "Our problems are not problems when we give them to the Lord" (or something like that:) )Did you watch Primetime this past week? Randy Pausch, a 47 yr. old professor with pancreatic cancer gave his "Last Lecture" with no word about his spiritual life. I thought of you and the effect you might have on his life if you felt led to write him. His address is 4932 Ellsworth Ave. Pittsburgh, Pa 15213 So glad you are feeling better. Jan Simons

Krista said...

Warren and Tana,
You have the most BEAUTIFUL children! I have been keeping up with Warren's health through my mother, and have become increasingly concerned. I have been meaning to get a card in the mail, but I am sure you know how that goes. My heart goes out to both of you - Warren because of the daily struggles, physical and spiritual, God has allowed you to go through (for His glory), and Tana because of all the worries and struggles you are enduring. God gives grace, but I know it can be extremely difficult and taxing on you and your family. As a wife, with a sick husband I can only begin to understand what you must be experiencing. Please know there are many people out there praying for you, thinking of you, and rooting for you.